Mohawk Community Grange
Minutes of the Meeting
September 15, 2013
Displayed: Flag, Grange Symbols and Inspirational Books and Reading
Welcome: (Co-Leader – Bob Russell) “Thanks for being here. We have the opportunity to give the best of our collective talents for the good of our community.”
Bring to Order: (Co-Leader – Linda Mooney) “Let’s please bring this meeting to order.”
Reading: Linda provided us with the saying, “You are never too old to do something goofy,” – Ward Cleaver.
Attendees: Bob, Linda, Barry, Laurie, Teresa, Julia, Thorpe, Kelly
- Roll call of officers:
- Dates of Interest
- 9/21 Clean up grange & road 10:00 am
- 9/21 Fundraising committee after the clean up
- 9/28 private rental
- 10/5 pre-meeting at Laurie Smart 6:00 pm
- 10/5 private rental 2:00 pm – midnight
- 10/5 – 10/6 Barn Festival at Penny & Bill Englert’s
- 10/19 Harvest Festival
- 10/20 October business meeting
- Treasurer’s Report
- August – $4,500 starting, $2,189.87 ending
- Meter @ 345, $.078
- $10 per month for second phone number with separate ring
- Could just run an extension to Thorpe and Kelly’s, using the Grange number
- Barry moved that we do that, Teresa seconded, unanimous
- Survey/Easement Discussion
- Bob left Randy a message saying that the State Grange would not approve our proposed solution (moving road next to John White’s property) – Grange needs to keep existing road. Bob still needs to follow up with Randy (who has been off fishing).
- Grange Caretakers: Thorpe and Kelly had agreed to 20 hours per month. Grange has the obligation to provide list of priorities. Priorities will be determined by the facilities/fundraising committee, wrapped up on 9/21 meeting.
- Coffee House Wednesdays: Has been going okay. A number of non-grange members have been coming.
- Rental Pages need to be changed on the website, to reflect Lon as the contact person, as well as other updates.
- Rental Policy Changes?
- Return of rental deposits need to be formalized, with checks returned within a week.
- Question of whether $100 might be too high.
- Recommended that deposit should be set to a minimum of $100 with the potential that it could be set higher depending on the circumstances.
- Recommend that a cleanup fee of $20 / hour be explicitly identified on the agreement.
- Lon will mark up rental agreement and return for Barry to posting.
Facilities/Fundraising Committee: ( )
- Committee met and began process of identifying facilities priorities, which will drive fundraising requirements. Next meeting scheduled for September 20 following the road and Grange cleanup.
- Next quarterly report is due end of October, based on membership as of 9/30
- Teresa will check with Julie Connell about whether she is willing to take over Membership responsibilities
- Barry will take over secretary responsibilities – will follow up with Wendy about responsibilities beyond minute taking
- SASS presentation:
- Jenna (541-484-9791 X318)
- October 20th meeting
- Will take place at beginning of monthly meeting
- Grange will assist with publicity
- Food Bank relocation: Still in progress
- Barn Festival – October 5/6
- What can we do to raise money
- Investigating what we could do – coffee, cocoa, chai
- Julia will take the lead as this is coming up before the next meeting
- Jim White’s passing was noted and it was decided that the Grange would send a card to John White acknowledging it.
For the good of the order: