Meeting Minutes January 20, 2013

Mohawk Valley Community Grange
Meeting Minutes, Sunday, January 20, 2013

Displayed: Flag, Grange Symbols and Inspirational Books and Reading

Welcome: (Co-Leader – Bob Russell) “Thanks for being here. We have the opportunity to give the best of our collective talents for the good of our community.”

The meeting was called to order at 5:10 by Bob and determined that a quorum was present.

Bring to Order: (Co-Leader Barry Rogers) “Let’s please bring this meeting to order.”

Reading: Tom quoted from MLK in honor of MLK holiday.

Guests: Alicia

Standing Items:

  • Roll call of officers: Bob, Barry, Tom, Joan, Steve, Teresa
  • MOTION: Tom moved and Joan seconded a motion to approve the minutes from the November, 2012 meeting, no discussion, unanimous
  • Check and approve calendar for January and February, 2013
    • Yoga every Wed 6:30 PM and Thurs 11:00 AM at Grange
    • Tai Chi Thurs 9:45 AM instruction 10:15 AM lesson
    • Yoga Indian Dinner Sat, Feb 23, 6:00 – 10:00 pm – Alicia and Julia are coordinating
    • Grange pre-meeting scheduled for Feb 9 at Tom and Joan’s – 6:00 pm
    • Grange cleanup scheduled for Feb 16, 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
    • Grange meeting will be on Feb 17, 5:00 pm
    • Possible rental for a wedding on April 27
    • Eagles will be here June 9 – 11
    • There was a rental request for either June 22 or 29 from Donna Seavy for a family reunion – additionally, requested availability for a class reunion in August
  • There was discussion regarding the location for further meetings, they will be at the Grange

Announcements /Acknowledgments

  • Steve mentioned the Asian Celebration at the Lane County Fairgrounds Feb 16-17, and asked about promoting it in the Marcola schools. Joan referred him to Ira.
  • Steve will provide information to update on the web site.
  • Huge thank you to Curt Mitchell and Lon Otterby for the tree sale that generated $260 for the grange.
  • MOTION: Tom moved and Joan seconded that Curt and his wife receive a one year friend of the grange membership, the pros and cons were discussed regarding the precedent of giving away memberships. The motion was passed unanimously.

Facilities Committee: (Bob, Tom, )

  • There was discussion of the gutters – including a challenge of utilizing the gutters that we have, plus hardware, etc. The consensus was that we should put on metal gutters. Bob will take the lead.
  • MOTION: Tom moved and Teresa seconded that we increase the budget to $300, no discussion, passes unanimously.
  • There was discussion of the kitchen project. Joan asked about what our objectives were for the kitchen. The consensus was that we don’t need, or want, a “certified” kitchen. Tom suggested that we should rip everything out … new sink, stove, hot water heater (discussion of hot water heater, instant-on versus free-standing, etc.)
  • It was resolved that the Kitchen committee should meet and have discussion about objectives, plans, etc.

Membership Committee: (Wendy, Joan, Barry, ?)

  • Barry will research credit card payment for memberships, etc. and report next month.

Treasurers Report: (Julie C/Teresa)

  • Dec expenditures: (attached)
  • Insurance due Feb 28 $488 / six month — Barry will research alternate quotes for insurance
  • Teresa will get the Quarterly Report to Linda for her signature
  • Linda will follow up with State Grange regarding reimbursement for building improvements

Executive Committee- (Linda, Bob, Barry)
Old /Unfinished:
New Business:

  • Bob discussed changing the grange phone number to 933-2828. It was tabled until next month.
  • * Grange Cleanup
    • Move wood on the back porch
    • Put “Do not split wood on the porch” sign up
    • Clear up all the crap from when we took the shed down
  • Grange Facebook Page – Tabled
  • Grange email list – Tabled Linda will follow up with Heaher
  • There was a discussion – benefits of “Friends of the Grange” and it was determined that “Friends” should be able to vote on any and all items that don’t impact the state or national Granges
  • Signs – discussion was tabled

For the good of the order:

Closing: The Board meeting is ended. Displayed items are stored.