Meeting Minutes: September 21, 2014

MEETING MINUTES (download)

MOHAWK VALLEY COMMUNITY GRANGE

September 21, 2014

Displayed: Flag, Grange Symbols and Inspirational Books and Readings

Welcome:(Linda M.) “Thanks for being here.  We have the opportunity to give the best of our collective talents for the good of our community.”

Bring to Order: (Co-Leader-Linda M.)  “Let’s please bring this meeting to order.”

Reading:  Hear These Voices, Youth at the Edge of the Millennium.  By Anthony Allison

Attendees: Linda M., Thorp M., Teresa H., Julia M., Julie A.

Guests:

Addition to the agenda:  Dictionaries for Elementary School

Dates of Interest

  • 10/11 Pre-meeting: Linda’s 6pm
  • 10/11 Grange Clean up – 10 to Noon. Julie A. will buy some flowers for boxes.  Thorp M. and Julia M. will work on flowerbeds.  Everyone will help with the hall clean up.
  • 10/19 Regular meeting- starts at 6pm
  • 10/25 Harvest Festival- at 3pm, will end around 8pm.
  • 11/2 DST ends….Let’s NOT change our meeting times? Begin our meetings and pre meetings at 6pm throughout the year.  Linda’s suggestion.  Needs more discussion and maybe a vote.
  • 11/8 Pre-meeting: Where? Barry’s House. Starts at 6pm. (OK? Barry?)
  • 11/16 Regular meeting – starts 6pm
  • Others? Dec. 13th – Teresa H. Christmas Party & Pre-meeting

Old /Unfinished Business:

•      Keep track of volunteer hours! Filled out paper with hours. Julia mentioned that this should include any volunteer time done in the community and with the Grange.  Teresa made a suggestion that we keep track of our volunteer time on a calendar.

  • Coffee House Wednesdays? Coffee House is up in the air.  We don’t know if there is any interest.  It is still being announced on Lon’s Event Calendar.
  • Rentals – Thorp received one call for next year.
  • Caretaker business: Cost estimate for stairs, railings and porch floor repair was turned in.  Wheelchair ramp needs to be repaired.  The men’s bathroom toilet is rocky.  Thorp will be dealing with these issues.  Bills and receipts were given to the Treasurer along with $5.
  • Petty Cash? $40 given to Thorp and Kelly.
  • Bat Guano Sales- Sold out.  We hope to have more come Spring before bats return.
  • Fire wood needed for the coming winter:

BOB’S MAPLE, Kitt’s donation, Yoga Class donation – let’s set dates- No date was set because Bob R. was not at the meeting.  Julia and Dan M. will contact Kitt and pick up her donation of firewood.  We did this and I left her with a Thank You note and a invitation to use the Grange Hall in exchange.  The yoga class will check with the person name Charlie, who sells firewood on Marcola Rd. for a donation or purchase.

  • Finalize furniture rental agreement- Tabled for now.
  • Harvest Festival – Oct. 25th– begin at 3pm continue until the fun has ended around 8pm.
  • Kirk and Cindy M. will bring some of their reindeers around 2:30 for set up.  Tony F. and his friends from town will play music on the porch.
  • A contest and prizes for the best Chili, Cornbread, and dessert. Bring your entries, no sign up necessary! 
  • Have a table for extra produce to be sold or traded.
  • Julie A. will ask Jess Harris Band to play in the evening after dinner in main hall.
  • Althea, Deb, Cheyanne, and Gabby will be responsible for the scramble and kids’ game and prizes.
  • Pumpkin carving, Julie A. said she has the pumpkins for this event. The chain saw carvers should bring their own giant pumpkins.
  • Teresa H. will contact Lon O. and get the reader board out.
  • Julie A. will make a flyer.  Teresa also, will make copies.  We need to get prizes for contest winners.
  • Thorp M. has already started cleaning up flowerbeds.  Julie A. is and has already  solicited prizes.
  • Thank You to every person for your contribution to making this festival a success.
  • Dictionaries- Linda M. contacted Marcola Elementary School. The books will be delivered and distributed

Treasurer Report- $2848.00 is our balance. Made by Teresa H.

Committee Reports: 

  • Grange Refresh & Facilities Committee – No Meeting because we were working on the matching grant from the State Grange.  Thank You to Laurie S., Barry R., and Linda M. the grant was put in the mail on Monday Sept. 15th.  You people rock!
  • Fundraising Committee – no meeting

New Business: 

  • Need an involved Webmaster for the website! We need to find someone for this job.
  • Donated TV- Thorp M. will put wheels on it and we will see if it gets used in 6 months.
  • Ramp needs fixing: Thorp has recommendation- Look above at caretaker.
  • Steps Repair: Bids – Given to Linda M.

Meeting Adjourned at 7:15pm